Warriors win, online viewers lose
UH looked good in a dominating win over UNLV last Saturday at Aloha Stadium, 42-13. The Warriors were never threatened and if they keep up this type of play they may have a good shot against Boise State on their blue turf next Saturday.However all was not happy in the Warrior fandom. Quite a few customers of Hawaiian Telcom's live streaming of the game ($9.95 per game, $39.95 for the season), including yours truly, were left out in the cold as it seemed that they had more connections than they could handle. Windows Media Player kept saying "Buffering..." and would occasionally show a few seconds of the game and then cut out again. This lasted for the entire game. I think the most I was able to watch was 30 seconds of the UH Marching Band's tribute to Earth Wind & Fire and the third string QB take a knee to run out the clock at the end. What a ripoff!
I went with Hawaiian Telcom because I signed up for a few games last year and the service was good--not perfect, but good enough for the price. You would think after a year they would have improved on the service, but it seems they don't have their act together. How can you charge for a service that can't satisfy all it's customers? At least I had the replay the next day on K5, those on the mainland and around the world don't have that luxury and must really feel cheated.
Some fans have written complaint letters/e-mails demanding a refund, especially those who purchased that game only. I will write an e-mail to them as well to at least tell them that they should not be putting out such a sub-standard product.

2 Comments:
Yep, I was there. In the mid-sized crowd. But, once the Warriors started making some fine plays, the place erupted like a packed crowd was there. Was a good, needed win, and I, too, think they're primed to delivery a nice, "about time" loss to Boise on their blue grassed home turf, which needs to be ruled as outlawed by the NCAA already (I mean, what if every university wanted to paint their football field as one of their school colors. Would be a problem, right?).
I think that first loss hugely revved up and frustrated the Warriors. That and the haka should keep on inspiring 'em to do well.
Nice to see them not being manhandled, nice to see some fine plays so far.
Look out WAC . . . and everyone else for that matter.
I too purchased the HawTelMedia season package. The UNLV game came in okay but the Nevada game was interrupted so many times. Even the archived feed comes in intermitently on high speed. Low speed (Quicktime) comes in okay but I don't want to watch it on a small 2x3 inch window. I got fed up and purchased the mid-season ESPN Game Plan. Loving it now. I can have the HawTel UH game on Quicktime and the ESPN-GP UH game on at the same time. The ESPN-GP stream is about 2-5 seconds later than the HT. I got the K5 broadcast for the New Mexico St game on ESPN-GP. The Idaho game on ESPN-GP had the game called by the Idaho announcers. It was funny hearing them botch-up the pronounciation of the UH player's names. Nate "Ilowa," "the Greek Gods -Samson and Hercules," Reagan "Mowea." ESPN-GP will probably have the K5 broadcast again for the Utah St game.
Post a Comment
<< Home